Waterjet cutting machines and the manifold benefits they bring along have been taken advantage of by many industries over the past period of 10 years. Various industry insiders agree, saying that waterjet technology is among the fastest and one of the most dynamic precision machine processes of today. It offers a wide array of industries to benefit from varying levels of efficiency gains allowing them to obtain high productivity whilst at the same time remaining environmentally sustainable and extremely cost effective.
We might have heard a countless number of times how waterjet cutting machines are capable of delivering a fast turnaround for your material cutting projects or how remarkably high its level of precision is and its inherent ability to cut through virtually any kind of material. Beyond those unique attributes of this state-of-the-art cutting technology, it is also important to have a good idea what applications this technology is most suitable for.
The use of a waterjet cutting machine is popular in the aviation industry. This modern method of cutting materials have found practical application in the aviation industry through the following:
- Processing and manufacturing of aviation body parts
- Production of engine components (comprised of materials made from heat-resistant alloys, titanium, aluminum)
- Production of titanium bodies intended for the production of military aircraft.
- Creation of interior cabin panels.
- Creation of custom-made control panels and in the making of structural components to be used in special purpose aircraft.
- Trimming and refinement of turbine blades.
- Processing of struts, seats, brake components, shim stock, and exotic metals required in the production of landing gear.
One area where waterjet cutting technology is most beneficial is its invaluable help in pulling down the production cost of electrical components. This is vital for any business, or else they won’t have the power or the means to compete in today’s market where technological market oversaturation is observed. The parts in which the use of waterjet technology can be found include the following:
- Circuit boards
- Control panels
- Insulation coverings or cable stripping
- Custom electrical enclosures
- Custom-made control panels for elevator systems
- Portable generator components
Medical / Surgical
The inherent ability of waterjet cutting to deliver high precision of cutting and machining, even of small parts from what can be considered as difficult materials has qualified it as one of the most ideal in the surgical/medical sector. Below are the practical applications of waterjet cutting machine in the medical and surgical sphere:
- Model shop prototyping
- Cutting artificial limb components
- Blanking out surgical instruments
- Fabrication of carbon braces
- Manufacturing of orthopaedic appliances
Architectural / Design /Artwork
Waterjet cutting has found itself an invaluable space in the creative sector because it can be used practically for anything. From textile cutting and processing to design and architecture, here is a glimpse of the many applications in which waterjet cutting technology can be found in:
- Artistic murals
- Architectural designs
- Production of metal artwork used in theme parks, museum artwork, and for housing of special lighting features.
- Architectural trim components
- Production of artistic window systems
- Marble signage letters
- Glass, aluminium, brass, plastic signage letters
Needless to say, the list of practical applications for waterjet cutting technology given above is not exhaustive. Indeed, there is a lot more than what this page can accommodate to show.
Trying to put a comprehensive list of the practical applications of waterjet technology is close to being impossible. But the core idea here is to give you a glimpse of what this modern material cutting method is capable of, and it is indeed quite extensive, so to speak.